Friday, March 5, 2010

Comfort Food -Potatoes and cheese style

I have always been one of those people that seek comfort and warmth in food.
Good food reminds me of family-
the warmth of being with my family as a little girl and smelling the wonderful scents coming from my grandmother's kitchen.
I am currently fighting with a bout of laryngitis-
sore throat, coughing, runny nose, and all the extras.
The thought of a warm creamy bowl of Loaded Baked Potato soup
is just what the doc ordered.I wish I could say that this soup is low calorie,
it's not.
It's not low fat, low cholesterol, or low carb.
It is rich and yummy and meant to be enjoyed-
savored under a blankie with a good book.
You'll need: 2 small cans of Chicken broth
(I use low sodium)
1 small can of cheddar cheese soup
4 cups water
2 cups milk
1 LARGE can of sliced potatoes
1 pouch of REAL bacon bits-
bacos just aren't the same (I use low-fat)
1 box instant mashed potatoes
(2 packets- experiment with different flavors-
sour cream and chives rock!)
fresh chives (optional)
1/2 bag of frozen chopped broccoli
(fresh if you are so inclined)
sour cream and cheddar cheese to top it offThis makes A LOT of soup, so start with your biggest stew pot.
Combine your chicken broth, cheddar cheese soup,
4 cups of water, and 2 cups of milk.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and slowly add your potato flakes.
It will act as a thickener.
Mix them in a little at a time until dissolved.
If it becomes too thick for your taste, simply add milk until you get the consistency you want.
Mix in the chopped broccoli, sliced potatoes, bacon, and chives.
Let it simmer until the smell fills up the whole house and has you slobbering in anticipation.
The longer it sits, the yummier it tastes.
Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and bacon bits.
Enjoy!
Let me know what you think,
because I am heading to the kitchen for a great big bowl right now!

No comments: