Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Village Tinner

Spring is here! Many of us are doing our spring cleaning and if you are anything like myself, I also tend to redecorate. I add a few new pieces on the fireplace mantel; maybe a new set of candleholders on the dining room table, something new and different.

My mantel is full of beautiful tinware handmade by "The Village Tinner"


http://www.thevillagetinner.etsy.com/ . He is by far one of the most talented tinsmiths I have ever seen. Ok, so maybe I'm a little partial- he's also my Dad!

For more than 25 years, and as long as I can remember, tin, copper and brass have been his passion. Having a home based business for nearly that long, I remember waking up to the sounds of the hammer striking the awe and pounding our beautiful tin punch panels. My mother was usually lovingly wrapping the finished pieces at the dining room table and carefully packing them up to be dropped off at the store that would find them a new home. I was probably one of the only ten year olds that knew the difference between a brake and a shear- and could tell you all about hot dipped tinplate. Cool huh! As a teenager I took metal shop with confidence- not just to meet boys.

This particular piece will always have a special place in my heart. It is a cheesemold that can actually be used. It includes a recipe for a German Egg Cheese that resembles Cottage cheese. The cheesemold is made with lead free solder. I made one for a history project that "WOWed" the teacher. I may have had a "little" help from Dad. To this day, that teacher still has that cheesemold!




All of these pieces shown are available in three finishes, which will match anyone's decor.

-The Antique finish simulates aged tinware. It is hand rubbed to highlight the patina and coated with a metal paste wax to give the metal a soft sheen. An occasional dusting with a soft cloth is all that is needed.

-The Rust finish is actually a painting technique. Each piece is primed and painted to give the feel of real rust. It has the appearance of rust without the devastating effects. Please clean with a soft dry cloth.

-The Natural tin finish is the look of shiny tinware when new. Each item is washed and hand polished. Over the years, the tinware will develop a rich patina. Clean with a soft dry cloth.


This particular item- the perfect gift for the history buff- is a Tinder Box. Before matches were introduced in 1830, a fire would have been started with flint and steel. This unit would have contained flint, steel, charcloth, tinder(strips of cloth), a candle stub and a dome shaped extinguisher.The flint, steel, cloth, and candle stub are not included. This is a great item for living history reenactors! I encourage you to check out this brand new etsy shop at http://www.thevillagetinner.etsy.com/ for excellent craftsmanship, wonderful customer service, and a great shopping experience. Custom orders are always welcome, as are antique restorations. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

rkdsign88 said...

Hi! You have an award, please free to grab it at my blog www.rkdsign88.blogspot.com